About this site
All material on the Friends Against Scams website is the copyright of the National Trading Standards Scams Team unless otherwise stated. It may be used only with the written permission of the team.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions about copyright material on our website.
The National Trading Standards Scams Team does not object to the use of material which is included on the website for personal or educational use, or private research. Use for commercial purposes is not authorised unless a licence is first obtained from the National Trading Standards Scams Team. Material includes but is not limited to text, photographs, icons and art work.
Copyright for contribution
Where you submit any contribution to the National Trading Standards Scams Team (including but not limited to photographs or text) you agree to grant the National Trading Standards Scams Team a royalty-free, non-exclusive licence to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative work from, distribute, perform, play and exercise all copyright with respect to your contribution worldwide.
By submitting your contribution to the National Trading Standards Scams Team or Surrey County Council, you guarantee that your contribution is:
- your own original work and that you have the right to make it available to the National Trading Standards Scams Team or Surrey County Council for all purposes specified above.
- not defamatory and does not infringe any law.
You will indemnify the National Trading Standards Scams Team or Surrey County Council against all legal fees, damages and other expenses that may be incurred by the National Trading Standards Scams Team or Surrey County Council as a result of your breach of the above guarantee.
Our policy is to respect and protect the privacy of anyone who visits the Friends Against Scams website.
Personal information collected via online forms
The National Trading Standards Scams Team is committed to ensuring that your privacy is protected. Should we ask you to provide certain information by which you can be identified when using this website, then you can be assured that it will only be used in accordance with this privacy statement.
The National Trading Standards Scams Team may change this policy from time to time by updating this page. You should check this page from time to time to ensure that you are happy with any changes.
What we collect
We may collect the following information:
- name and job title
- contact information including email address
- demographic information such as postcode, preferences and interests
- other information relevant to customer surveys and/or offers
What we do with the information we gather
We require this information to understand your needs and provide you with a better service, and in particular for the following reasons:
- Internal record keeping.
- We may use the information to improve our products and services.
- We may periodically send promotional emails about the initiative or other information which we think you may find interesting using the email address which you have provided.
- From time to time, we may also use your information to contact you for market research purposes. We may contact you by email, phone, fax or mail. We may use the information to customise the website according to your interests.
Where we ask you for personal information through an online form, this information will only be used for the purpose indicated and it will be held in a secure manner. Information sent in this way is encrypted.
It will not be used for any other purpose without your permission and will not be kept for longer than necessary. If you are concerned about providing your personal information online please email us at email@example.com and we will arrange alternative means for you to provide this information.
Email is not a secure method of communication because the text may be intercepted by third parties. Please do not include any sensitive or private information in your email correspondence with us.
Use of IP addresses
Every computer has its own individual IP address, identifying it in the same way as a telephone number identifies your phone line.
We collect IP addresses only for the purposes of system administration and to audit the use of our site. We do not link IP addresses to anything personally identifiable. This means that while your use of the website will be logged you will remain anonymous to us.
This site contains links to other sites. Friends Against Scams is not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of these sites. See our links policy for further information.
We are committed to ensuring that your information is secure. In order to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure,we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect online. This site has security measures in place to protect the loss, misuse, and alteration of the information under our control.
If you have any comments or questions about the accuracy of information on this site please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Terms and conditions
In accessing the Friends Against Scams website you agree not to:
- get or attempt to get unauthorised access, in any way, to the website or computer systems of our or any of our partners' networks
- access, change or spread internal data which you have accessed through our network
- upload or distribute, in any way, material or files containing viruses, 'trojan horses', 'worms' or other harmful software
- upload files that contain data, information or software not licensed to or owned by you, or collect information about others without their agreement (such as names and addresses)
- publish, post or otherwise spread false, infringing, offensive, indecent, obscene or other unlawful or objectionable material
- use a false or unauthorised name, identity or email address, impersonate another person or try to mislead others as to the identity or origin of any documents or messages
- sell or make any commercial use of the content of the website
- interfere with the website or do anything which may affect its operation
- make false claims as to the origin or ownership of material contained in files made available through the website
- use the website or material taken from the website to harass, threaten, stalk, abuse, or otherwise violate the rights of others, including rights of privacy.
The National Trading Standards Scams Team has the right to prevent you from accessing the website where we consider that you are not following the above conditions.
The National Trading Standards Scams Team uses reasonable efforts to include and update information on this website but it is unable to confirm its accuracy or completeness. You should not assume that this website is error-free. The National Trading Standards Scams Team will not be responsible for errors or omissions in this website or other documents which are referenced by, or linked to, this website.
This information should not be relied upon as sole substitute for formal advice from the originating bodies or departments of Surrey County Council and its partners.
The National Trading Standards Scams Team will not be held liable for any special, incidental, indirect or consequential damages of any kind including those resulting from loss of use, data or profits, whether or not advised of the possibility of damage and on any theory of liability arising out or in connection with the use of or performance of this website or other documents which are referenced by or linked to this website.
The National Trading Standards Scams Team attempts to ensure the accuracy of material and to test it on various platforms. But the National Trading Standards Scams Team does not guarantee that any of its contents is virus-free. You must take your own precautions as we accept no responsibility for any infection by virus or other contamination or by anything which has destructive properties.
Linking to our site
You are welcome to link to the Friends Against Scams website. We would appreciate being informed of any link to our site. Please contact email@example.com
The National Trading Standards Scams Team receives many such requests, and retains the right to withdraw this permission without explanation or notice if in our judgement use of such links is excessive or inappropriate.
Links made to the Friends Against Scams website should not infer any endorsement or partnership by the National Trading Standards Scams Team of that site and its services or products, where such an agreement is not applicable.
Reciprocal links cannot be guaranteed due to the number of requests we receive to link to external websites.
Linking from our site
The Friends Against Scams website contains links to websites operated by other parties. Although we look at all sites carefully to assess their reliability and content, we are not responsible for the reliability or content of the websites and does not necessarily endorse the views expressed within the websites or any association with their operators.
We are not responsible for updating the websites. We cannot guarantee that the links will work all the time, and we do not have any control over the availability of the linked pages.
The National Trading Standards Scams Team usually includes links to other websites that conform to one or more of the following criteria:
- being directly related to the work we do
- belonging to partner organisations
- government websites
- specific page or pages of information or a document that offers more detail relating to content on our website.
In relation to requests for links, the editor's decision will be final.